Home > 1700-1900 > American Civil War in the United States > Sisters and Nurses of the Civil War

A beautiful but often overlooked commemoration in Washington, D.C. is the Sisters and Nuns of the Civil War memorial near Dupont Circle. Funded by the Ladies Ancient Order of Hibernians in 1924, it honors the various orders who served the sick, wounded and imprisoned in the struggle between the states. The inscription at the top of the memorial reads “They comforted the dying, Nursed the wounded, carried hope to the imprisoned, gave in His name a drink of water to the thirsty.” A bronze relief panel provides depictions of sisters of the different orders who provided service during the war and below the panels another inscription reads: “To the memory and in honor of The Various Orders of Sisters who gave their services as nurses on battlefields and in hospitals during the Civil War.” At each end of the granite cenotaph sits female figures representing patriotism (with the shield) and peace (with wings). This memorial remembers a small group who provided wonderful service during war without engaging in the fighting.

IMG_1862.JPG
IMG_1863.JPG
IMG_1864.JPG
IMG_1865.JPG
IMG_1866.JPG
IMG_1867.JPG
IMG_1868.JPG
IMG_1869.JPG
8 files on 1 page(s)