Home > 1700-1900 > American Civil War in the United States > Tribute to Confederate Women of Florida

This small park landscaped park sits on the location that was the end of the Confederate trenches in the city during the Civil War. The large memorial in the park honors the women of the Confederacy for their service during the war. The monument is an open-air, forty-seven foot tall square rotunda with the statue of a woman holding a Confederate flag on the top and under the pitched roof sits a large statue of seated woman who has a small boy and girl at her sides and a book on her lap. On the base of the rotunda a bronze plaque is dedicated “In Memory of the Women of our Southland 1861-1865.” It was erected by the McNeil Marble Company of Georgia in 1915 and sculpted by Allen Newman.
[url=http:// http://www.scv-kirby-smith.org/monument_to_women_of_the_confede.htm]Monument to the Women of the Confederacy[/url]

IMG_0791.JPG
IMG_0793.JPG
IMG_0796.JPG
IMG_0797.JPG
IMG_0798.JPG
IMG_0799.JPG
IMG_0800.JPG
IMG_0801.JPG
IMG_0802.JPG
IMG_0803.JPG
IMG_0804.JPG
IMG_0806.JPG
12 files on 1 page(s)