Home > 1700-1900 > American Civil War in the United States > Alabama Soldiers and Sailors Confederate Monument

The cornerstone of this large granite memorial was laid by former President of the Confederacy Jefferson Davis in 1896 and the completed memorial was dedicated in 1898. The memorial was designed by Gorda Doud and has a large square stepped base on which sits a tall column topped robed woman holding a Confederate flag. Near the base of the column is a bronze ring on which are engraved scenes from the secession and war. On pedestals around the base sit four large statues of Confederate soldiers and sailors; lyrical phrases honoring these men are inscribed on the base of each of these pedestals.

IMG_0067.JPG
IMG_0068.JPG
IMG_0069.JPG
IMG_0070.JPG
IMG_0072.JPG
IMG_0074.JPG
IMG_0075.JPG
IMG_0077.JPG
IMG_0079.JPG
IMG_0080.JPG
   
10 files on 1 page(s)