Home > 1700-1900 > American Revolutionary War > Nathanael Greene Memorial

Within one of the original Savannah city squares laid out by its founder James Oglethorpe rises a fifty foot marble obelisk honoring American Revolutionary War hero, Nathanael Greene. After the Revolution, Georgia gave Greene the former plantation of Royal Lieutenant Governor John Graham and Green in 1785 moved to Savannah permanently where he died a year later. The obelisk memorial was begun in 1825 and officially dedicated in 1830. A small bronze plaque on the bottom of the obelisk indicates that Greene and his son were re-interred here in 1902 (from the local Colonial Park cemetery).

IMG_0850.JPG
IMG_0851.JPG
IMG_0852.JPG
IMG_0853.JPG
4 files on 1 page(s)